Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Grilled Jerk Chicken Sandwiches


To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of boneless, skinless chicken breast.  Actually, I take that back - I love using boneless, skinless chicken breasts if I get to bread and fry them, like if I'm making something like parmesan chicken or sweet and sour chicken, but grilled boneless, skinless chicken breasts can end up being dry, flavorless, and boring.

With that being said, Kevin and I wanted to grill up something semi-healthy on our first night at the lake this past week, so we decided to make some sort of grilled chicken sandwich.  I needed something to kick up the flavor on these grilled chicken sandwiches.....and I found it - mango chutney!  We love anything with mango in it so I decided to give this mango chutney that I found in the Indian section of my grocery store a try.  This sandwich was definitely a winning combination :)  We will be making this again for a healthy meal (although I just can't bring myself to give up the cheese which would make it a bit healthier). 

Ingredients: (to make 2 sandwiches - adjust as needed)

2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, butterflied and pounded out a bit (just to thin and even out a bit so the breasts aren't super thick - I always do this so that the chicken cooks evenly and doesn't get dried out)
2 hamburger type buns
2 slices of pepperjack cheese
1/2 of a medium-sized red onion
EVOO
1/4 cup mango chutney (I found this in the Indian section of my grocery store)
Caribbean jerk seasoning, to taste
Salt & fresh cracked pepper, to taste

Directions:

Slice up the red onion and saute with a little EVOO, salt, and pepper in a skillet until softened. 

Meanwhile, season the chicken breasts with jerk seasoning and salt & pepper, to taste.  Grill until cooked through (we grilled them for maybe 10-12 minutes, but it depends on your grill and how thick the chicken breasts are). 

Add cheese slices to the chicken about a minute or two before they are ready to come off of the grill.  Assemble sandwiches and divide mango chutney and sauteed onions between the sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment