Monday, July 12, 2010

Bananas Foster


There are only four ingredients in this AMAZINGLY YUMMY recipe - bananas, butter, brown sugar, and dark rum....this is so easy to make, but in my opinion, it is definitely restaurant quality.  I absolutely love bananas, and I have been making this recipe for a few years now.  I don't repeat very many dessert recipes over and over because I like to try new recipes, but this is definitely one that keeps getting repeated in our house.

I spent the past week at my grandparents' lakehouse, and since Kevin and I arrived a day before my parents, we decided to greet them with this dessert upon their arrival.  I always serve bananas foster over a couple of scoops of vanilla ice cream (and this time we had some whipped cream in the fridge so we added a little of that on top as well).  I usually pour the bananas foster to the side of the ice cream instead of directly on top so that the ice cream doesn't melt as fast.  It was no surprise that this dessert was a big hit!

The bananas foster recipe that I always use is from Paula Deen, and I've also used it in the past to serve over waffles for a special occasion breakfast (so good!).  Give this recipe a try!  It's incredible :)

Ingredients:

1 stick of butter
1/2 cup brown sugar (either light or dark will work)
4 bananas, peeled and cut lengthwise and into thirds
1/4 cup dark rum (I use Meyer's)

Vanilla Ice Cream - For Serving

Directions:

Melt butter in a large skillet. Add brown sugar and stir together. Add the bananas and cook until caramelized over medium-high heat (about 2-3 minutes). Pour in the rum and catch a flame off of the gas stove or a BBQ lighter (I always use an aim-a-flame). Stand back when ignited and flambe. Be careful; a flame will shoot up above the pan. Let flame die down.


Serve over vanilla ice cream and/or a slice of pound cake.  I always serve this over ice cream because the mix of hot and cold is so good and I love the way the bananas foster goes with the ice cream.  A little whipped cream on top won't hurt :)

No comments:

Post a Comment