Friday, October 9, 2009

Slow Cooker Pepperoncini Beef


I'll admit that last night was the first night I have ever used my slow cooker to make dinner. I've used it before to keep cheese dip warm, but for some reason I haven't found a lot of slow cooker recipes that I have wanted to try.

I recently started a masters program, and I'm at night class 3 nights a week so I was trying to find some recipes that I could make ahead of time that my husband could eat when he gets home from work and then I could eat once I got home from class. Kevin (my husband) has a lot of great qualities, but he doesn't have a lot of experience cooking for himself unless it involves putting a frozen pizza in the oven. I decided slow cooker recipes would suit our needs so I'm going to try to make 1 slow cooker recipe per week or a casserole recipe that he can just stick in the oven when he gets home.

Here is the first slow cooker recipe I decided to try. I was really happy with how incredibly easy it was and how good it turned out. It was definitely a hit! I found the original recipe here on http://www.allrecipes.com/, but I made just a couple small adjustments.

Ingredients:

1 (3 pound) beef chuck roast
4 teaspoons minced garlic
1 (16 ounce) jar pepperoncini
1 onion, sliced
salt and pepper to taste
hoagie / sub rolls
sliced provolone cheese

Directions:

1. Season the roast with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Place roast in the slow cooker, and pour the entire contents of the jar of pepperoncini, including liquid, over meat. Add in the minced garlic and sliced onion.
3. Cover, and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours (I cooked on low for about 7 hours and then set my slow cooker to warm until we were ready to eat).
4. To serve, put sub rolls with provolone cheese under the broiler for a few minutes to melt the cheese and toast the bread. Add as much of the meat mixture as you want and enjoy :)

Here's what the meat looked like in the slow cooker:



It was a very easy weeknight meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment