Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Baked Goat Cheese


When I was growing up, I was pretty picky and didn't like to try new things so goat cheese wasn't on my list of food that I liked (well I never actually tried it but I convinced myself that it wouldn't be something I would like). Everything changed when I moved to Chicago 5 years ago! I would say that now I love to try new things and there isn't a lot that I don't like :)

Anyways, I first tried baked goat cheese at a tapas restaurant here in Chicago called Cafe Ba Ba Reeba. I loved it and still get it every time I go there, and it's such a simple (and delicious) dish that I started making it at home about a year ago. Here's how I make it:

Ingredients:

Goat Cheese (I use a little 5 oz package for my husband and I but you can adjust the amount)
Marinara Sauce (I used about a cup of this recipe from Giada, but I have also made it with store bought sauce and it still turned out great)
2 teaspoons Minced Garlic
Drizzle of EVOO
Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
1 package pillsbury refridgerated french loaf (or you could use any french baguette)

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Divide goat cheese into 4 balls (or more depending on how much goat cheese you have)
3. Put goat cheese in a small shallow baking dish and pour in your marinara sauce. Use enough marinara to surround the goat cheese, but make sure you don't cover the top of it. I used about a cup in my dish but you may need more or less depending on the size of your baking dish.
4. Add the minced garlic around the goat cheese, drizzle with a little EVOO, and add a little fresh cracked pepper on top.
5. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes, and bake the french loaf bread at the same time.
6. Once I take it out of the oven, I let it sit for about 5 minutes while I slice the bread. I also brush a little melted butter on the bread and stick under the broiler for a couple minutes, then you're ready to eat!

Just spread some of the goat cheese and marinara on your bread slices and you have a delicious dish! This is great as an appetizer, or I use this for an easy weeknight meal for my husband and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment