Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Chicken, Noodles & Dumplings


I'm a little late on this post, but about a week and a half ago my husband requested one of his favorite comfort meals that I make - Chicken, Noodles & Dumplings. I grew up on this meal, and my mom would make it often when it was cold outside. It's almost like chicken noodle soup but with a little less broth and it has dumplings on top. It's sooo good and really easy to make. I've changed it just a little bit from the way my mom makes it.

Ingredients:

1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed from the bones and chopped up into bite size chunks
1 package of frozen egg noodles (I use the 12 oz. Reames brand noodles - if you can't find these you can also use dry egg noodles and adjust the cooking time, but I really like the texture and thickness of the frozen ones)
6 cups chicken broth
3-4 stalks celery, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2-3 tablespoons minced garlic
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon EVOO
1 can refrigerated biscuits (any variety you like - I usually use Pillsbury homestyle biscuits)
Seasonings to taste (I use salt, pepper, vegetable supreme, and garlic pepper)
Optional - cornstarch and a splash of heavy cream or half and half

Directions:

1. In a large stockpot, heat butter and EVOO over medium to medium high heat.
2. Add onions, celery, carrots, and minced garlic and saute until softened (about 5-8 minutes)
3. Add in chicken and chicken broth, and bring to a boil.
4. Season with salt, pepper, etc. to taste.
5. After this has boiled for about 10 minutes and you are happy with the seasonings, add in egg noodles and boil for about 10 minutes.
6. At this time, if you would like to thicken the broth a bit you can add a splash of cream and/or a little bit of cornstarch disolved in water. Lower heat to low so that it is just simmering.

Here's what mine looked like at this point:

7. Place biscuits on top (I then add some fresh cracked pepper on top of the biscuits) and cover with a lid. Let simmer for about 15 minutes or until biscuits are cooked through.
Here's a picture of what the biscuits should look like (make sure you leave the lid on while cooking so that biscuits can steam and cook through):


8. Take off the heat and let cool for a few minutes, then serve and enjoy!

Thanks mom for this great recipe :)

No comments:

Post a Comment