Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Toffee


I've been wanting to make toffee for awhile now, and I finally bought myself a candy thermometer and made a batch of toffee to go along with the oreo truffles I made to bring to Christmas Eve dinner.  I didn't realize how easy it was to make toffee....and only 5 ingredients!  I was pretty happy with my first attempt at making candy, and I thought these went good with the truffles.....although these are pure butter and sugar so I wish I didn't have all of these leftovers :)  I adapted this recipe that I found on http://www.allrecipes.com/.  Next time, I may do a layer of white chocolate on the bottom and semisweet chocolate on top.

Ingredients:

1 pound butter (4 sticks)
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (I used a little more than 2 cups)

Directions:

1.  In a heavy saucepan, combine butter, white sugar, and brown sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture boils (I just kept stirring with a whisk until it boiled, and then I didn't stir anymore after that). Boil to brittle stage, 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) without stirring. Remove from heat (I actually removed from the heat once the mixture reached 295 degrees).

2.  Pour hot sugar/butter mixture onto a rimmed sheet pan that's been greased with butter (or pam).  Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top and let it sit for 2-3 minutes so that the chocolate melts.  Using a rubber spatula, spread out the melted chocolate and sprinkle walnuts on top and press into chocolate.  Let the mixture cool and break it into pieces before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment