Monday, September 28, 2009

Whole Roasted Chicken


For yesterday's dinner, I wanted to make a delicious, comfort meal that was kind of a Thanksgiving replica. I decided my menu would be whole roasted chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing (from a box), rolls, and pumpkin pie. It turned out great! I had never made a whole roasted chicken before, and it took a little longer than I thought it would but ended up being really juicy and flavorful. I ended up making two so that I could freeze the meat of one and use for a dinner next week. Here's how I made the chickens (I read a few recipes and created my own with the ingredients I had on hand):

Ingredients:

2 whole chickens (giblets removed from the cavity)
2 yellow onions
1 1/2 sticks butter
1 can chicken broth
minced garlic (I probably used around 1/4 cup on each chicken
salt
pepper

Directions:

1. Place the two chicken in roasting pan on a roasting rack.
2. In the bottem of the roasting pan, pour in the can of chicken broth and also add 1 stick of butter (sliced up).
3. Cut onions into quarters, and stuff the inside of the chickens with 1 onion each and the rest of the butter (sliced up).
4. Season the chicken liberally with salt, pepper, and the minced garlic.
5. Roast the chickens in a 350 degree oven until the internal temperature reaches 175 degrees (I put my meat thermometer into the middle of one of the breasts, and it took about an hour and a half to cook).
6. Remove from oven, baste with the juices from the bottem of the roasting pan, cover with foil, and let rest until the internal temperature reaches 180 (I let the chickens rest for 15-20 minutes), and carve.

Overall, easy and great recipe! Make sure you have plenty of time to cook the chicken because depending on your oven and how big the chickens are it would take awhile to get up to 180. Very juicy and flavorful :)

No comments:

Post a Comment