Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Sloppy Joes


So tonight was the first time that I have ever made homemade sloppy joes. Usually in the past I have just used the Manwich sloppy joe sauce but I found this recipe on http://www.allrecipes.com/, and I had all of the ingredients so I decided to give it a try. It turned out very easy and really tasty so I think I'll go with this recipe from now on!

Ingredients:

1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
3/4 cup ketchup
3 teaspoons brown sugar
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste

Directions:
In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef, onion, and green pepper; drain off liquids.

Stir in the garlic powder, mustard, ketchup, and brown sugar; mix thoroughly. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

The original recipe can be found here. I doubled the recipe so that I could have leftovers to freeze for another meal. I also added a splash of worcestershire sauce, a splash of red wine vinegar, and a couple tablespoons of good BBQ sauce. I served them on onion rolls that I toasted under the broiler with a little aged cheddar cheese.

Very tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment